Everyone loves having a streamlined profile they can admire in the mirror. However, only some are lucky to have it. Some of us have excess fat that leads to a double chin.
It is also referred to as submental fullness. Various factors can cause a double chin, such as genetics, weight, anatomy and the position of the airways.
If you have a double chin, don’t worry; you are not alone in this. Around 68% of people struggle with a double chin and are concerned about it. But the good thing is that double chin liposuction can effectively fix and provide incredible contour.
What is double chin liposuction?
Double chin liposuction is used to remove excess fat accumulated beneath the skin. It helps to provide better contouring to the chin and neck. The procedure is conducted under anaesthesia.
A small incision is made under the chin, and then a cannula is inserted that vibrates and shakes the fat cells to make them loose. Finally, the liquefied fat cells are suctioned out through the cannula.
What is the need for double chin liposuction surgery?
The surgery can effectively get rid of excess fat under the chin. The sagging skin that does not improve with exercise, creams or other interventions may require chin liposuction and implant.
Various factors can lead to a double chin, and ageing is one of them. Moreover, exposure to the sun and other environmental hazards are also responsible for deteriorating skin quality around the neck and face. It also causes wrinkles.
Weight fluctuations that are either gaining too much or losing a significant amount of weight can cause a double chin. You can opt for double chin liposuction if you want a contoured jawline and an improved overall appearance.
Who is an ideal candidate for chin liposuction?
Anyone having a bulging chin is an ideal candidate for double chin liposuction. If in doubt, answer the following question to yourself before deciding on a chin liposuction procedure:
- If lowering the face makes the chin look bulkier?
- Do you feel self-conscious when taking photos?
- Is the fat on the chin having a negative impact on the aesthetic look of your face?
If all the questions above have a yes answer, then chin liposuction is the right choice for you.
The ideal candidate for chin liposuction meets the following criteria:
- Excess fat underneath the chin
- Discontent with the chin
- A non-smoker
- Healthy physical and psychological health
- The expectations are realistic.
How is double chin liposuction performed?
It is an outpatient procedure that can be performed in a doctor’s clinic. The procedure takes 1-2 hours to be performed under local anaesthesia. Moreover, the patient can return to their home on the same day.
The procedure involves making a small incision beneath the chin, breaking down the fat with a cannula, and suctioning it out. Afterwards, the incisions are sutured to close the wounds.
What does the recovery period look like?
- After the surgery, it is common to experience discomfort and pain that can last for 2 to 3 days.
- You may experience bruising at the site of surgery. Your doctor will also prescribe antibiotics that help to avoid any infection.
- The incision is kept open for some time to ensure the drainage of any additional fluid.
- It is advised to rest for 5 to 6 days after the surgery.
- The stitches are generally in 5 to 6 days after the procedure.
What kind of aftercare should you expect post-surgery?
After the surgery, you may experience tingling, swelling, and bruising around the incisions. It is recommended to practise proper aftercare to reduce the effects and ensure proper healing.
Avoiding strenuous activities in the first few days is highly recommended. If you follow your doctor’s advice properly, you will recover within a week.
Guidelines to follow during the first week after surgery are:
- You will be required to wear a support garment to which your chin will be fitted.
- Keep your head elevated while sleeping. Do not swivel your head from side to side.
- The application of ice is recommended to reduce swelling.
- Visit all the follow-up appointments with your doctor.
What is the result of double chin liposuction?
After a few days, when the effects of surgery, such as swelling and bruising, subside, you will see liposuction results. With a healthy weight, the results can be long-lasting.
When can you get back to work after the procedure?
You can continue your work and everyday activities within a week or two. The recovery of chin liposuction recovery is much faster than neck lift surgery. It is important to follow all your surgeon or doctor’s instructions after the surgery.
What are the benefits of chin liposuction?
Reducing chin size and giving it an incredible contour is the main focus of chin liposuction. Apart from that, the surgery offers various advantages such as:
- It is a minimally invasive procedure which makes the recovery phase much shorter.
- There are almost no minor side effects.
- It has low downtime.
- Results in minimal scarring
- Enhances the appearance of the neck and jowls
- Addresses sagging jawline
- Improves face profile
- It provides a younger appearance.
- Enables skin tightening around the neck
- Boosts one’s self-confidence
When to contact your surgeon after the surgery?
Visiting all the follow-up appointments after the surgery is important. Also, if you experience any infection, immediately visit your surgeon.
The signs can be:
- Bleeding, oozing, redness or swelling at the site of the incision
- Chest pain
- A fever that exceeds 100.5 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius)
- Medicines aren’t able to reduce post-op pain.
- Vomiting or nausea
Does chin liposuction offer permanent results?
If you maintain a healthy weight, then liposuction results can be ever-lasting. On gaining weight later, it may sit around the chin area. However, developing a new double chin after surgery is unlikely as most fat cells and the fat pocket are removed with the surgery.
If you are considering double chin liposuction, then visit PVR Aesthetica. The clinic is renowned for its incredible record of successful surgeries.